Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bracknell Open 2012

I competed at the Bracknell and Wokingham Level 1 Meet this weekend. With exam season very much upon us there wasn't much in the way of opposition so I came away with easy victories in both my events, the 50m and 100m Freestyle. In fact, because I knew I was going to swim more or less unchallenged I experimented with my stroke and changed my race-plans somewhat. I recruited an eager eleven year-old to record the races so I could deconstruct and analyze the swims afterwards. I won the 50m with a time of 24.02, slightly off what I would usually expect, but as you can see from the video below my stroke-rate is notably slower than normal. Similarly, in the 100m I touched with a time of 52.66, not a bad time but I was particularly interested in coming back as fast as possible during the second length. My splits were 25.3secs for the first length (roughly a second-and-a-half slower than what I regularly target) and 27.2secs for the homeward stretch. For me, splits within two seconds of each other is almost unheard of, and it shows that I can produce good back-end speed, which is something I'll undoubtedly need to draw upon in a month's time at the National Championships. Unfortunately, my eleven year-old friend got a tad overenthusiastic for the 100m, so I've just posted the 50m. If you're interested in reading the full report that I write for the paper and the club website, you can read it here (my teammate Lucy Campbell snatched the headlines this week as she competed at the European Open Water Cup in Israel last week and came away with the bronze for the 10k (!)).

I'm in the middle with the black cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment